Featured Articles and Links
A Guide to Market Fluctuations - Keys to Prevailing Through Stock Market Declines
I Don't Want to Talk About It.: How to discuss eldercare with your parents.
Equifax Data Breach: On September 7th, 2017, Equifax announced a massive data breach that exposed vital personal identification data on as many as 143 million consumers, roughly 55% of Americans age 18 and older. This article provides tips for protecting yourself.
Media Replay: Today's headlines may seem scary -- so scary that "playing it safe" and not losing your money may seem like the only rational strategy. Click the link to learn more.
Make a Clean Break: Your Guide to Fossil Fuel Free Investing written by 350.org, Green Century Funds and Trillium with a foreword by Bill McKibben
Parnassus Funds Update on Wells Fargo: Divest or Engage?
Everything Investors Need to Know - and Should Ignore - About the Upcoming Election written by Jerry Webman, PhD, CFA and Chief Economist at OppenheimerFunds.
Listed below are links to web sites and information that may be of interest to you:
- CFP Board's Consumer Guide to Financal Self-Defense - What you must know and do to prevent financial abuse
- Fossil Fuel Divestment Resources
- Fossil Free Funds - Search for mutual funds and find the fossil fuels hidden within your portfolio
- Ethical Barcode - Uncover what you're truly supporting when you spend at the grocery store
- Letter to My Loved Ones - This document will help you prepare an "inventory" of your financial affairs and instructions to be used by your loved ones in the event of your passing.
- Medicare - The official US government site for Medicare
- MyMoney.gov - MyMoney.gov is the U.S. government's website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education. Whether you are buying a home, balancing your checkbook, or investing in your 401(k), the resources on MyMoney.gov can help you maximize your financial decisions.
- Record Retention Guidelines
- Saving for College
- Social Security Administration
- Whatcom Alliance for Health Advancement (WAHA) - WAHA Access Counselors provide free and confidential information to help you find ways to get, keep, and use health care coverage and get health care.
- Whatcom County Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors - SHIBA is a free and unbiased service of the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner. The SHIBA program utilizes a statewide network of trained volunteer counselors who educate consumers about their Medicare options and rights.
- National Student Loan Data System - NSLDS is a central database that keeps track of how much federal student loan debt a student has
- Whatcom Community College offers free Medicare prep classes on a regular basis. Click here to go to their continuing education page where you can click on "Health Insurance & Medicare" to find the class dates.
More links for Socially Responsible Investing information:
- corporateknights.com - the magazine for clean capitalism
- Four Reasons to Divest from Fossil Fuels - by Green Century Funds
- Smog Free Project - a series of urban innovations led by Daan Roosegaarde to reduce pollution and provide an inspirational experience of a clean future.
- Coal Museum Goes Solar - The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum is switching to solar power to save money on utility costs.
- Vertical Forests - the radical plan to save China from air pollution
- California Energy Commission - Energy Commission Adopts Standards Requiring Solar Systems for New Homes, First in Nation
- Lawsuit against oil companies - Anticipating the effects of climate change, King County sues major oil companies
- New York City divests - New York City plans to divest $5 billion from fossil fuels and sue oil companies
- Fossil Fuels' Dirty Secret - Climate action or not, things look bad